President Samia Suluhu Hassan has said all road projects that were initiated during the fifth-phase government continue being implemented and some projects have been completed while the Sixth-Phase Government initiates new ones.

“I have comfort that some projects have already been completed and many more will be complete. We are also initiating new others including the Loya river bridge,” President Samia said.

She made statement on Tuesday in Tabora region during an inauguration of the 85.4 kilometers of road from Nyahua- Chaya.

The project is part of the Tabora-Manyoni road through Tabora, Kigoma and Katavi.

The project, constructed at a cost of 117.9 billion, was constructed under collaboration between the government of Tanzania and Kuwait Development Fund whereby the government funded it by 28 per cent and the remaining 72 per cent was financed by Kuwait. 

Speaking at the launching event, President Samia said she has intent to make Tabora region have tarmac roads, noting that as she was inaugurating the road it reminded her over a big history that the region has. 

She noted that the inauguration of the road was part of government’s strategies to ensure it completes all road projects and inaugurates them in order to open up the country.

“This road is very important because it links Tabora and other regions including Singida, Kigoma, Katavi and neighbouring countries of DR Congo and Burundi,” she stated.

She added: “Completion of this road section will bring huge economic opportunity for the country,” she said.

She said the road will ease trade between Tanzania and neighbouring countries through the Dar es Salaam Port.

The Head of State noted that she was aware that there were many projects completed and waited for being inaugurated, promising the Tanzania National Roads Agency (TANROADS) and all Tanzanians that those projects will be launched to show government’s efforts in constructing transport infrastructures.

She added: “I congratulate the TANROADS for supervising this project and contractors to ensure that it completes in time.”

Earlier, Works and Transport Minister Prof Makame Mbarawa said the road is part of Sixth-Phase Government’s strategies to ensure it implements and completes all projects.

“We congratulate President Samia for your efforts of ensuring that road projects are implemented and completed in order to open up the country. Being a minister I will ensure that all institutions under my ministry complete projects,” Prof Mbarawa pledged.

TANROADS’ Chief Eexecutive Officer Eng Rogatus Mativila, said the inauguration of that road is beneficial to the country because it links the country with neighbouring countries.

On his part, Deputy Managing Director of the Kuwait Development Fund, Mr Waleed Albahar,  hailed President Samia for her good leadership and promised her that his country will continue cooperating with Tanzania in implementing projects.